Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Splitting Field Help

Anweinbe
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have a file that shows me sales by customers. However, the products they bought are all listed in a single field, which isn't very helpful. I attached a sample of my data in excel. 

In short, if you look at column G, each of the first few orders have one product. the last row has 2. What I would love is to have this broken out so I can run product quantity analytics. Ideally This record would be broken into 2 lines. The first product on one line and the next product underneath. I'm ok if all the other fields have duplicative information. 

Thanks so much in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @Anweinbe 

The attached workflow parses your column G product(s) twice:

• the first time uses the Text to Columns tool to parse the Product(s) column using comma between products, and split the columns in rows.
  • the second time uses the Text to Columns tools parsing the Product(s) column on the × character (note, it looks like an x by it is not), spliting the column in two columns.
  • It rename the column Product-1 to Quantity and Product-2 to Product using a select tool.

hth

Arnaldo

Anweinbe
6 - Meteoroid

Arnold thank you so much! The output is perfect. I just reviewed the workflow to follow along. Very straightforward! I never new I could "split to rows". 

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

@Anweinbe indeed, the Text to Column tool is great

Labels