Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Small delay without using Wait-a-Minute macro?

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

I am writing a flow that writes to a single Excel file, but two different sheets on that same file.  Just sometimes, the machine will race ahead of the file lock, even when using BlockUntilDone, and I get the odd error where the OS reports the Excel file as locked open, even though it is imminently about to close. 

Is there a something I can give Alteryx to do on BlockUntilDone's 2-stream that will keep Alteryx busy for a few milliseconds, before attempting the second write on the 3-stream? 

I know about the (most excellent) Crew Macro for waiting, but does anyone have a suggestion for a quick and dirty solution that just distracts Alteryx for a maybe 300ms or so, to give the OS time to unlock the file?  In coding I would just do a for-loop to count to a million or something (but not that exactly, coz that's stupid).  At the moment I am writing a dummy file on stream 2, and that works, but I would welcome suggestions that make Alteryx do something, but does not burn CPU or RAM.

2 REPLIES 2
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Hiblet - I generally tend to use the Render Tool in cases like yours. Take a look at the attached sample solution. May not necessarily apply in your case, but still worth a look.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Thanks @AbhilashR, that is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.  Something that takes a bit of processing, but does not ludicrously tie up the machine and waste resources.  Much obliged!

Labels