Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Small business with multiple Alteryx Licenses - File Access

BREA_Mitchell
6 - Meteoroid

Hi!

We have a small business and two Alteryx license. Currently we are using SharePoint and have the files synced to our desktop. Is there a better way for us to be able to run workflows on both PCs without having to update the file paths? 

We are on version 2023.1.1366.

8 REPLIES 8
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @BREA_Mitchell 

Have you ever tried Share Point Input tool? That tool enabled the connection with SharePoint files.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/designer/tools/connectors/sharepoint-input-tool.html

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I would also consider using relative paths since y’all likely both have the folders synced. This will connect to data relative to where the workflow is, so as long as your team has access to the folders it should work! https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/How-To-Use-Relative-Paths-1583459124006

BREA_Mitchell
6 - Meteoroid

thank you!

BREA_Mitchell
6 - Meteoroid

thank you for the guidance!

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Please make sure to accept the solution that helped (or both) - thank you in advance!

BREA_Mitchell
6 - Meteoroid

Hi! We are trying it now, but it's very SLOW. :( 

Also having an issue of not being able to grab the most recent version of a file like I would in Alteryx (Directory, filter, sort, sample, dynamic input). 

BREA_Mitchell
6 - Meteoroid

We gave this a try, but it's not working either. The files are on access on a Sharepoint shared folder. 

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@BREA_Mitchell here's my two cents on the issue.

Here's two potential paths:

1: We rock with the Sharepoint idea. Fine. Yes the tools are (Buggy/Slow). You also face the next issue, how does one find this latest file? If you look in the configuration window of the Sharepoint Input tool you'll notice that you can "Read Only a List of Full Paths" as an option, however, on the second tab in the configuration window named "Configure/File", where the gold truly lies, you can't select any the "Attach Metadata" option. Unlucky. However, you can do this on a per file basis and then bring in the "created by" metadata per file. 

This is annoying, yes, and you would have to probably use one Sharepoint tool (in a batch macro) to "download" the files to a temp location purely to bring in their metadata. The output of the batch macro would be the file name and the created by. You'd then do your sort and sample and select the appropriate row. You then need another batch macro to grab this file name and dynamically bring that file in through the second sharepoint tool. 

That's my first thoughts on this, given the tool's constraints. 

Option 2) However, I don't know if you know this, but you can navigate directly to that Sharepoint site in the browser and locate the specific document folder. You can then (both you and your colleague) sync this folder locally to your machines so both of you can access it locally. You'll no longer need the Sharepoint tool and you could simply use a directory tool at this stage to read in the files + metadata as you previously had but it's now synced with the cloud. 

Screenshot community.png

Screenshot community2.png

Here's the comparison. Also, I wouldn't use created data as that seems to refer locally, you'd probably need the field i highlight below to generate the "recent file" logic:

Screenshot community3.png

Voila. Problem solved with the Sharepoint tool constraints given your issues and life is once again good.

All the best,

BS

Labels