Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Simplify workflow

RZainuddin
5 - Atom

Hello, I am still new to alteryx. I receive this workflow and I have to modify and simplify it especially at the "find and replace" tools. Please advise me on how to simplify them and some other messy tools, and suggest me which tool is suitable to use. 

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@RZainuddin,

Under OPTIONS there is a menu choice for EXPORT WORKFLOW.  If you export with data, we could receive a package that is a functioning workflow with data.

Observation Notes:

1. Skip 1st 4:  in your input tools, you can configure (option line #7) Start Data Import on Line 5 (1 is the default).  This will avoid the sample and rename tools.
  2. Union:  Do you really want to WARN if fields are different?  Is it OK or do you want to error?
  3. Select:  Immediately after the union you have a select where all fields are v_string (255) and no adjustments have been made.  At minimum you might UNCHECK the "*Unknown" element at the end of the field list.  This way, if a new field is introduced it will not be sent through the workflow.  I might suggest changing the field types either manually or by use of an AutoField tool.
  4. Formulas:  You are using a pre-Contains logic set for your evaluation.  You should consider transitioning to Contains logic.
    IF FindString([[SAD]]Commodity (Commodity)], "INACTIVE_DO NOT USE_")>-1 THEN Substring([[SAD]]Commodity (Commodity)],20) ELSE [[SAD]]Commodity (Commodity)] ENDIF
    IIF(Contains([[SAD]]Commodity (Commodity)], "INACTIVE_DO NOT USE_"),Substring([[SAD]]Commodity (Commodity)],20),[[SAD]]Commodity (Commodity)])
  5. Formulas:  The first 3 formulas are "the same" for the three fields that they represent.  You could use a Multi-Field formula instead.
    IIF(Contains([_CurrentField_],"INACTIVE_DO NOT USE_"),Substring([_CurrentField_],20),[_CurrentField_])
  6. Formulas:  The sum fields all remove commas.  These too could use a multi-field formula:
    Replace([_currentField_]),",",'')
  7. Formulas:  The same as comment 5 for the Region/Organization/Region fields

Now I get to the joins and find/replace in the workflow and would really benefit from seeing the data.  I think that transposing the data and performing the lookups all at once is the approach that will simplify and streamline the workflow.  If you package this up, I (or someone in the community) will likely jump at the opportunity to help.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
RZainuddin
5 - Atom

Unfortunately I could not share the data to public and I have tried to simplify them but it does not work. Maybe you can suggest me any other alternative way to solve this problem especially in the bunch of Find/Replace tools 

Labels