Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Shift multiple columns in union

poojasingh111
6 - Meteoroid

I am getting issue in configuring manually for multiple datasets. I have to do it manually one by one for each column and each dataset

Is there any other way to do it in union using manually configuring fields 

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @poojasingh111 if you click and drag when you select fields or press ctrl you can select multiple fields at once in Manual configruring fields in the Union tool.

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

It's going to be difficult to tell whether it'll be possible to find a way to union by name or position without a little bit more information on what you're trying to union. Can you provide some more details or mock data at all?

MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

Ideally you'll want the field names to match so that you can use the Auto Config by Name option in the Union tool.  This may require some translation before you get to the Union.  In the attached / below sample workflow, I have two datasets with field names that do not match & positions that do not line up.

MattBSlalom_4-1664404890844.png

Dataset 1:

MattBSlalom_0-1664404511259.png

Dataset 2:

MattBSlalom_1-1664404545388.png

To union these successfully, I've created a mapping dataset to translate one of my dataset's field names to match the other:

MattBSlalom_2-1664404653451.png

Then we use a Dynamic Rename tool to update the field names of my 2nd dataset:

MattBSlalom_3-1664404733409.png

This allows the Union tool to provide the desired alignment with the Auto Config by Name option.

MattBSlalom_5-1664404992001.png

poojasingh111
6 - Meteoroid

Will this work even if first column starts with different positions in each file?

Eg. File 1 column1 starts with C1  and  dummy values in A1,B1 

File 2 Column1 starts with  D5 and dummy values in rest few cells

MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

In the proposed field rename solution I provided, the list of fields to be renamed & the new names would be explicitly defined by you.  So yes, you could just not have a field name translation for A1, B1 and start that old/new field name mapping dataset with C1 (for your File1 example).

Labels