Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sharing Workflow to Another User with a License But results in directory error

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have designed a workflow for my team. The input is designed to be taken from my teams channel which I have synced on to my computer using one drive sync. But when I share the workflow with my teammate, while running the workflow gives an invalid directory error.

My workflow involves, taking input from my teams channel as well sending the outputs to the same teams channel as well.

The workflow works fine for me but I would like to find out how I can share my workflow with my colleagues and they would be also able to run the workflow that I have designed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Looking at it the issue is that the file path references your user name so that will change based on who is using it it. I would try using a setup like this to grab the users file path then adding on where the OneDrive directory is to it. Then pass that to the input tool:

IraWatt_0-1654082892206.png

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi IraWatt,

Thank you for your response. Yes you are right, the input is indeed referencing my username. I took a look at the workflow you attached to extract the username of the person running the session.

What should I do next? How do I make it replace it in the directory input? Or is there another tool I need to use. Because currently my workflow is designed to take up the latest file (by creation date) from my teams channel using dynamic input.

Sorry if its a silly question, I am new to Alteryx and still learning.

Thanks

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Once you've created the path you want with the user name and OneDrive I would put the rest of your workflow into a macro:

IraWatt_0-1654093740703.png

From there you can pass the information to your directory tool:

IraWatt_1-1654093804099.png

If your not used macros there's some great videos on the community for them Interactive Lessons - Alteryx Community. Ive attached the example workflow. 

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

Unfortunately my company system works on a older version of Alteryx and I am unable to open the file you have attached. Could you please post a few screenshots of the workflow and the configuration? I am sorry

Thanks

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Qiu. Followed the instructions on the site. Just a clarification, when I rezip the all the files back to .yxzp format and open it, I get a dialogue box asking me to import the files which I clicked Yes to but after that, nothing opens on Alteryx. I see the files have been extracted to my desktop and I can see the yxmc and yxmd file. Do I have to open them manually after that?

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Is it possible to use workflow dependencies to solve this issue? 

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Attaching a copy of my workflow for your reference. I would like to replace the usernames in directories for the inputs as well as output to the same teams channel. Both of which require usernames in their filepaths. 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Nithinpanicker,

I've attached both workflows and instructions if you cant get them to open. I would highly recommend looking at the macro videos on the community if you want to understand how they work.

First step add a control parameter and add an action tool to overwrite just the users address: @

IraWatt_0-1654254517221.png

Step two, save as a macro file:

IraWatt_1-1654254607336.png

Step 3 add macro to new workflow:

IraWatt_2-1654254652745.png

Step three, add a formula tool which just adds your file path constant to a record then use the regex tool configured like below:

IraWatt_4-1654254895938.png

Step 4, use the outputted regex to update the workflow each time:

IraWatt_5-1654254974078.png

Labels