Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SharePoint Online (365) - Input Tool - Multi-select field is getting trucated

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I am noticing an issue that I do not recall coming across before. We have a few fields in a SharePoint list that are People Picker (multi-select) that have more than 255 characters so they are getting truncated.  I am using 2020.2

Is this a known limitation with the connector?  I don't see anything that stands out in the community about this issue and I don't see any way to adjust this on the Alteryx side. it seems like my only option is to create a field in SharePoint that maybe only displays the email of the selected users (instead of the full name). 

Any insight would be helpful so I don't waste time trying to come up with a solution. 

Increasing the number of characters with a Select tool has no effect. I didn't expect it to but I know some might suggest that :-) 

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @aehrenwo 

From looking at similar posts in the community, it looks like this is a limitation of the SharePoint List Input tool.  The most successful solution was this one, where the user used a Run Command tool to launch a VBS script file that downloaded the contents of the list to an excel file and then read from the file.  Note that any VBS based solution will NOT run in a server environment. 

If you need to run this on a server and you're familiar with Python, you might want to consider using a Python tool leveraging the SharePlum library.  Here is a very detailed example.  The Python code in the example runs in Visual studio, but it should run with minimal modifications in the Python tool.      

Dan

Labels