Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Set order of execution

akadwa
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow segmented into 2 steps which are defined by 2 tool containers (refer to picture below).

Step 1 Extracts data from 2 separate SAP sources and exports it to 2 files. 

Step 2 connects to the 2 files (extracted in step 1) and then transforms the data to give me the output that I require.

Question 1:  

Step 1 needs to finish completely before step 2 begins. How do I force Alteryx to follow this order of execution? Currently 

when I run the workflow Step 1 and Step 2 execute at the same time thus causing the workflow to fail. 

Question 2: WIthin Step 1, how do I ensure that both extractions from SAP execute at the same time (in parallel) and not one after the other? Currently the 2nd extraction only executes after the 1st has completed which is inefficient as both extractions are independent of each other. 

My questions are quite simple and have possibly been asked before (i couldn't find a simple solution), I'm hoping for a simple resolution without having to do massive workarounds (such as macros, etc) to achieve it 😀

akadwa_0-1668168748577.png

11 REPLIES 11
dsandmann
8 - Asteroid

@akadwa - is there a reason that you write to the yxdb and then immediately read in? if you are just overwriting you could feed directly from Step 1 into your Step 2. If you're appending, you could still do the same, but union the Step 1 inputs with the yxdb read and add a distinct, or add in some parallel block until dones from the CReW macros

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

Unfortunately the CReW macros are of limited use to anyone in an enterprise environment since they are not fully supported by Alteryx.

"The CReW Runner macros (Runner, Conditional Runner and List Runner) are the only CReW macros supported by Alteryx, but for Alteryx Designer ONLY. These macros are not supported when used on Alteryx Server, Alteryx Designer + Scheduler or AAH."

Labels