Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Separating Tables/Labeling them in Layout tool

derm
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I just combined two tables through the Join tool and then put it into the Layout tool. The problem I'm having is that the Tables aren't labeled and I have been trying to label them in order to differentiate them. One is also stacked on the other with no space between. Any way to label each of the tables and also put space between them? Currently have the orientation set as Vertical with section breaks.

Best,

Derm

5 REPLIES 5
acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @derm.

I would probably use the Report Text tool with a setting that attaches the text to an existing field, placed above the existing object.

You can see an example of this if you go to Help -> Sample Workflows -> Diagnose why it is happening -> Create a report with a thematic map.

The spacing between objects can be adjusted in multiple ways (e.g., by adjusting the Table Width parameter), and typically involves some iterating to get the desired result.

derm
7 - Meteor

Hmmm I know what you mean, but I meant more so to have the text between the tables and the report tool only seems to give you the ability to put text above the tables or below them. I have been messing around and I found the visual layout tool which has given me the desired space between the tables. I would opt for just simply having a header at the top of each table with the name, but I don't really know how to do that. Could you help me figure that out?

acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @derm.

Interesting, I've hardly used the Visual Layout tool, but I can see how it may assist in this scenario.

If you have a sample input and sample output, that will help provide some clarity. I still see a lot of value using the Report Text tool. The Report Header tool is also an option.

derm
7 - Meteor

I took up on what you said and used the report text tool. I realized though that you could input the tool into the visual layout tool and then place the text wherever. I made labels with the report text tool and inputted them into the visual layout tool. Worked really well and gave me what I wanted exactly. Thanks for your help. Couldn't have done it without you. 

acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hey, @derm.

That's really neat. Glad you got it to work. Sounds like a win for the Visual Layout tool. 🙂

Labels