Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sending Automated Emails

nkrupabd
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm working on a project where i need to send Emails of Employee details to their respective managers , Is there a way I can do this.

Please help me with this .

Thank you.

18 REPLIES 18
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @nkrupabd,

Yes this is definitely possible. You'll want to check out the reporting tools to accomplish this. This will allow you to dynamically create the content (body, to, subject, etc). 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @nkrupabd,

Like @Luke_C says Alteryx has an email Tool which can be fully Automated to send to a list of people from your data:

IraWatt_0-1658153314790.png

Also if you want to schedule the email that is also possible check out this thread: Solved: Email Tool - Alteryx Community

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

nkrupabd
8 - Asteroid

Thank you.

The issue here is How do i attach the data of particular Manager (separate Sheet for each manager ) to the Email sent to that Manager.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@nkrupabd To achieve this I would use a batch macro which would loop through each manager and filter on just the data needed for them before sending out an email. The community has some super quick videos on how this works here: Interactive-Lessons Macros 

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

Here's a simple email macro based on data input depending on if you are looking for a mass emailing.

The workflow has an input file of Employee, Manager, and Manager's email.  Then a formula with a single Email Subject that is to be used on each email; this could be customized per email if needed.

The macro is then fed the input file and the email body is constructed based on individual Employee and Manager names; this is a single template to be used on each email.  Then the email tool sends the email.

You will need to update the Email tool info with your Email SMTP and From Email address.  (also will need to make sure the input tool has valid email addresses)  You can simply update all email addresses to your own for testing.

Hopefully this helps as a starting point.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1658156570909.png

Robin_McIntosh_1-1658156603977.png

Robin_McIntosh_2-1658156693600.png

nkrupabd
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the solutions.

This will work in case we have a single output, 

But I have like 150 managers and under each manager there might be some where around 30 employees.

For each Manager we will be having an excel output with all the employees under him and this excel output should be send as an attachment in the Email to that particular manager.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

Here's a simpler workflow without the macro.  Again, update the input file with valid email address(s), the report formula with correct file path, and the SMTP/From email info in the email tool.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1658239443894.png

nkrupabd
8 - Asteroid

Thank you I used this but I'm getting an error,

Email (31) Record#1: Error Opening file: C:\Users\nkrupabd\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_15876_14193a038bae4f2eb304932df72e81e7_\Report.xlsx: The system cannot find the file specified.

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

Is this error message based on the example workflow I provided or your own workflow?  Your error message indicates the report file name is not unique/specific as it's just '...\Report.xlsx'.

The workflow example I provided will create unique reports based on the manager such as '...\Jim_Employee_report.xlsx' or '...\Mary_Employee_Report.xlsx', etc.

So the Render Tool output file name (and path) must be the same as the formula tool.  So for me, my workflow is stored on my OneDrive thus the Render tool will save the output file to the same OneDrive location.  Then my formula tool is based on the OneDrive path.  

Robin_McIntosh_0-1658317375722.png

Robin_McIntosh_1-1658317630544.png

If your workflow is stored at AppData path as in the error message, 'C:\Users\nkrupabd\AppData\Local\Temp\Engine_15876_14193a038bae4f2eb304932df72e81e7_\', then your formula would look like this:

Robin_McIntosh_2-1658317880475.png

Labels