Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Selecting only the first and last columns from a month range that can be dynamic.

aliensurfer
7 - Meteor

Hi all. Trying to solve the below but not able to find a solution. Could anyone in here help figure out?

I have a table like shown in the screenshot, with months as column names.

photo_2023-05-18_11-58-58.jpg

The above example shows months from Oct-22 to Mar-23, but these months could span any periods (Jan-22 to Dec-22, or Jan-22 to May-23, etc).

I want to do some trends analysis by picking only the first and last month in the range. In this example, I want to consider just Oct-22 and Mar-23. Similarly for any range of months provided, I want to pick the first and last months. How could I do that?

3 REPLIES 3
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @aliensurfer ,

I'm sure there a ton of more efficient ways to do this but attached is the first way I though of. I made the assumption that the column names were formatted as strings in this example.

One of the tricks I used was taking advantage of the "Output Common Subset of Fields" option in the union tool. 

phottovy_0-1684427057046.png

Once you have identified the column you want to keep, you can use the union tool to drop all of the other columns. In this case, I feed a table with only headers (no rows of data) into the union tool and it drops all of the other columns. 

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

There are probably going to be a few ways to do this. My preferred method is to use a field info tool to get all the fields and then use samples to grab the names of the fields I care about and tag them using dynamic rename to update the descriptions. Then a dynamic select to select the columns I identified to keep,.

SPetrie_0-1684426746362.png

SPetrie_1-1684426820006.png

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@SPetrie, nice use of the metadata! I never would have though of that.

Labels