Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Select from a list of available items for IN LIST in Filter Tool

ScottC_00
7 - Meteor

In other data configuration apps (like Webi) when I want to create a filter or a formula to includes only items in a list, I can select the items I want to include from a list of available items.

I am trying to figure out how to do that in Alteryx. 

Currently, when creating a filter tool, I need to go to my raw data and copy the items I want included to ensure I have the correct spelling/spacing.  Is there a way to do this or do I just need to do this manually?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ScottC_00 

There could be a few dynamic options, but it all depends on what the data looks like and how it is stored. For example, you might be able to build a list and use a Join tool to see what matches. If it's a contains situation, you could do the same thing but with record ID and transposing out key:value pairs. Or a Filter with a "Contains" configuration. There are lots of possibilities.

Could you share a data sample for the Community to get a better idea of what the situation is? That would really help replies. 

ScottC_00
7 - Meteor

Thanks Charlie.  If I have data like this

Case #

Issue

Status

Outcome

Blue

Open

Red

Closed

Term

Yellow

Hold

Green

Closed

Warning

Red

Closed

Coaching

Green

Open

Yellow

Closed

No Action

White

Closed

No Action

Blue

Open

Red

Closed

Coaching

Green

Hold

Blue

Closed

Warning

In the filter I would need to type

[Outcome] IN (‘Term’, ‘Warning’, ‘Coaching’)

To do that I would need to know what the Outcome options are.

What I am looking for is a way to see all the available options

Term

Warning

Coaching

No Action

and select them in IN clause of the Filter Tool, instead of remembering them and typing them.

I am not really looking to build something, I was hoping there was an option in the filter tool or some other tool that offers that ability.

Thanks

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

What you are looking to do is create an app and use a list box:

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/list-box-tool

This would allow you to select the values from that field you want to filter for and dynamically update the IN clause with your selection.

Labels