Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Securing A Macro / Workflow

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hello gurus - 

So I have a series of tasks I need to be able to perform just a little bit differently and I decided to macroize the thing as much as possible.  That being said, one of the operations I need to perform and have written a macro for could go real wrong if someone decided to bring it down and run it to see what happened.  

If I store and schedule in server, I can have some control over who sees/runs the workflows.  But I haven't figured out a way to make it so that only people with the right trust level can access a macro.  Is this even doable?

Thanks.

brian

2 REPLIES 2
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@brianscott 

If you publish the workflow into the Gallery, Collections will allow you to specify a list of users who will have access to it (assuming they're not members of the same private studio already).

An alternative could be to save the critical macro in a shared network directory and reference it within the workflow using a UNC path. You can manage access to the macro location on the directory level. There's a way to force users to enter their Windows credentials when executing a workflow on the Gallery so if they don't have access to the macro location, it will not work when they attempt to execute the workflow.

brianscott
11 - Bolide

> An alternative could be to save the critical macro in a shared network directory and reference it within the workflow using a UNC path.

The idea would be only my device and / server would have the shared directory included as a macro path option?  I suppose if someone were troubleshooting something on the server install could access it in the palette, but it might have to be something I live with. 

Good idea, thanks.  

Labels