Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sample tool not working

JingLi
7 - Meteor

I'm using Alteryx for a project in my class. A student submitted a packaged workflow as part of the assignment. The sample tool in the student's workflow doesn't work despite the configuration being correct. However, when I replicated the workflow in a new window, the sample tool worked. I cannot figure out what was wrong with the student's sample tool. I attached the workflow here. It's the bottom one.  Please help. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

The workflow you attached has the "Department Name" selected in the group by options. Therefore instead of only selecting the first 20 items, the tool is trying to select the first 20 items for each Department. If you uncheck this box, the tool should work as you expect.

***Please like this post and mark the issue as resolved if this answers your question***

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hi @JingLi, your student has [Department Name] ticked in the Group By section of the Sample tool configuration:

DataNath_0-1663881306703.png

This means that Alteryx will take the Top N (20 in this case) of records for each [Department Name]. In this case, every [Department Name] only has 1 record and so there's nothing to trim

DataNath_1-1663881372743.png

I'm not familiar with the task, but I'd imagine they'd want to use the sample tool after the sort by [Sum_Item Total] and then use the same sample tool configuration but with the Group By unticked?

DataNath_0-1663881539370.png

JingLi
7 - Meteor

It worked after I unchecked the box. Thank you!

JingLi
7 - Meteor

Unticking Group by did the trick. Thank you!

Labels