Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Same Formula with Multiple Field Inputs

kfish
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I need to run a very basic If Then statement on multiple fields in my data. At first I was thinking I could use the Multi-Formula tool, but since it has multiple field inputs not sure that it would work.

Essentially, I have a dataset where I unioned two datasets of the same fields but with different as of dates and I need to compare each of those fields to each other. For Ex my dataset looks like:

Day 0_CodeDay 1_CodeDay 0_RateDay 1_Rate
AA11.5
BC22

And I need to run this formula: IF Day 0_"Field" = Day 1_"Field" THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N" ENDIF that will turn it into this:

Day 0_CodeDay 1_CodeMatch?Day 0_RateDay 1_RateMatch?
AAY11.5N
BCN22

Y

My problem is that I have around 400 fields total that this needs to be ran on so doing it manually would take a long time.

I don't think the Multi-formula tool will work since from what I understand it only runs on one field at a time rather than two. Would a macro possibly work for this?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @kfish 

One way is to Transpose the data and apply the logic.

Many thanks

Shanker V

kfish
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the response! How does that work if i need a new field created for every "Match?" scenario? 

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Here's a way to do it for your data.  It takes a couple of rounds of transpose/crosstab.  You might be able to simplify that by combining the two datasets differently earlier in your process.

I adjusted your column names so they would sort correctly - cross-tabbed fields sort alphabetically.

Christina_H_0-1676040677461.png

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @kfish 

One way of doing this.

ShankerV_0-1676040883296.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @kfish 

Checked with more input fields, the workflow will work dynamically.

ShankerV_0-1676041118843.png

For your information as @Christina_H and my solution does not have the column name as Match? because we cant have more than 1 column with the same column name.

Hence something to be added before/after the column name to make the column name unique.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Many thanks

Shanker V

kfish
7 - Meteor

Thanks!! This is so close to working, but for some reason when it transposes back to the original format, I lose match data on all the same rows. Do you know why that would happen?

Sorry for my horrible shading, just is data that i can't share!

kfish_0-1676043905226.png

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @kfish 

Could you please share more information to analyze please.

Can you compare on my workflow and your applied workflow and let me know in which step you see a difference.

Many thanks

Shanker V 

kfish
7 - Meteor

Hi @ShankerV I ended up figuring it out! Im running this on around 400 fields and one of the Day 1 fields was missing their Day 0 fields so pulled it in and it fixed the issue. Thank you!

Labels