Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Run a second app when an optional output is generated

malcorr
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I have a workflow that could produce 2 outputs, one of those outputs is optional, meaning it could come out of the workflow or not. 

If that optional output comes out, i want to have a second app running. And that optional output would be the input for the second app. 

How can i do that?

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @malcorr 

I think you can do this with a chained app by having the first workflow always produce the trigger output. In the situation where the output would normally not be produced, create the output with no rows.   You'll have to modify the second app so that it can run with an empty input, probably exiting right away.

Dan 

K_Vinogradov
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @malcorr !

In this situation I would make use of the "Run command" tool. Instead of chaining a second app via the interface designer, I would make a bat file that would start the second app. The script can be something like this:

@echo off
start "" "C:\Path\workflow.yxwz"

Considering that the second output is optional, tie the condition of outputting the second file to using the "run command" tool (for example, by disabling a container that contains both of them).

In case your condition is not met, the second output will not be generated, and the second app will not run.
In case your condition is met, the second output will be generated, and the second app will run.

Hope this helps!

Labels