Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Queries Asynchronously

ACharChar
7 - Meteor

Hi! I'm working on a workflow to reconcile data (checks) between two databases. The workflow is straightforward with a join comparing check numbers and their corresponding statuses in each database. The challenge I'm facing is timing. One of the databases is a day behind; therefore, the comparison is not apples-to-apples. Within the database that is a day ahead, a field does not exist that would allow me to exclude data that was updated in the last 24 hours, thus aligning the two datasets. Without those data elements, my thought was to execute the workflow storing the data from the first query with the second query then not being initiated for "x" time after the initial run Within that time, the database that is behind would have been updated by a scheduled IT job making the comparison like-to-like prior to passing through the join.

I've explored Chained Workflows and also Crew Macros but still drawing a blank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

5 REPLIES 5
drew9
9 - Comet

Hi @ACharChar ,

Are you planning on running this workflow in designer or on gallery? My initial thought would be to have to separate workflows, one for caching the data that is a day ahead into a dynamic file that is then accessed by the second workflow which would have your cached data and a direct input to the data that is a day behind. You could stagger the running at first, running the first workflow today for example and the second one tomorrow, but as you go on you would be able to run both daily and your needs should be accommodated. let me know if that makes sense, happy to discuss more.

ACharChar
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the prompt response, @drew9. Initially, it was a scheduled job on the Server (Gallery) outputting the checks that did not reconcile to a File Explorer path. The reconciliation is not time-sensitive allowing us the flexibility to execute from Designer if the proposed workaround is simpler to solution within that application. 

drew9
9 - Comet

Does the above solution make sense? You will have to stagger your workflows, but once you initially offset them your process should run accordingly. 

ACharChar
7 - Meteor

It does in theory. I need to think further how to solution the workflow. Regarding the dynamic file with the cached data, what would then be the vehicle for the cached data; i.e., Excel, Temp Table, etc? This would be in the millions of rows so Excel could not be a solution. 

drew9
9 - Comet

.yxdb could be a solution, really any file type that can hold your data would suffice as that is all it would need to do. It just needs to be able to get written to and read from for your processes.

Labels