Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Rewrite VBA-Code in Alteryx

Entity1710
5 - Atom

Hello friends,

I have the following VBA code for a small university project that I need to write in Alteryx:

Public Function Smolders (x As Variant) As Date
If IsNull (x) Or x = " " Then Smolders = "1.1.1930"
Exit Function
End If

Smolders = 5 - Weekday (x, 2)+ x
If Smolders > x Then Smolders = Smolders - 7
End Function

Can someone explain to me exactly how to do this? I need to rewrite this for a specific column called "BottleStart" which represents a date. I have already tried to get Chatgbt to explain it to me, but he only comes up with errors. I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

X refers to your field or dimension from your dataset - in this case Smolders. It's forming the data type as "Date", and the formula equivalent in Alteryx is:

IF IsNull([Smolders])
OR [Smolders] = ""
THEN [Smolders] = "1930-01-01"
ELSE [Smolders]
ENDIF

In this case, I believe X is referencing a field called Smolders as well, just so happen then it's formatting the value to be 1st Jan 1930 if it's null or empty. 

The other function I think is safer to create a new field. In this case BottleStart.

The Weekday(x,2) function refers to the day of the week, and the 2 represents 1-7 (Monday = 1, Sunday = 7).

I'll need more data to confirm this. Can you provide some sample data and expected columns + their expected values? Easier to re-engineer that way.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Entity1710
5 - Atom

Hey Calvin,

thanks for the fast feedback. So I need a new column called "Off1" and the function is mainly related to "BottleStart". For example (see attachment) I have a date and depending on which day of the week it is, a certain number is subtracted. At least that's what I understand from Chatgbt.

Entity1710
5 - Atom

Anyone?

Hello, you need to write it in For Next loop till 7 weekdays, this is what i understood with your query

Labels