Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Replace the Folder Browse tool with another method so it can be run in Alteryx Gallery

Keisi
6 - Meteoroid

Hi community!

Could you help me find a way to adapt the workflow, to interactively enable the user to select the folder where PDFs are stored on the Alteryx Gallery?

I have a workflow that is only accepting and running PDF Inputs if the input is a Directory tool, but the Directory tool can't be updated using the Folder Browse tool in Alteryx Gallery. 

I have first the workflow Macro "Reading PDF with R" that has as a macro input a text input with the cell "FullPath".
The second workflow "Data Extraction from PDF" enables the user to select the folder where the PDF files are stored and then run it accordingly to proceed with PDF data extraction and manipulation. 

The reference is attached.
Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
mpeterson27
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Keisi - I do not believe there is an easy way to set up a folder browse (or replace it functionally) on the Alteryx Gallery. We ran in to this issue and ended up having multiple (x10) file inputs that then fed into a batch macro to apply a pdf template and consolidate all of the PDFs. 

This is not the best solution, as it requires the user to manually select all 10 PDFs, and if you have more than 10 PDFs it gets to be less user friendly - but it was a workaround that ended up helping us. 

mpeterson27
6 - Meteoroid

@Keisi As a quick update to this - we were able to have a text input set to a directory tool that then went to the image input tool, which essentially replicated the folder input/ folder browse. We have a select tool that just brings in the folder path to the PDF/Image input. It works for us on server. 

Labels