Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Rename columns manually

Nchto
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way i can manually or via a reference table, i can rename the columns in a wrokflow.

I work with databases that may change their columns names at a moments notice, the workflow logic almost always stays the same but order and name of the columns to be used may be subject to change.

This being said i was wondering if there is a way for the column names i use to be dynamic in some way.

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nchto ,

To manually rename the columns you can use a Select tool, and simply type the name into the "Rename" column.

To do this dynamically, you can use the Dynamic Rename tool. Providing you are using Select * from your table it will bring the tables in.

However, to be truly dynamic you will need to have logic which can determine how to rename the columns.

If you would like to post some data as an example, we can help you build it.

M.

Bulien

Nchto
6 - Meteoroid

yes, sorry i didnt realize the misleading title.

i cant post any data as it is confidential, but i wanted to somehow let alteryx know column equivalencies for the rest of the workflow.

For example, my input may change a column name from reconciliation date to execution date, so maybe there is a way to let alteryx know it can run the same but this column changed its name.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nchto ,

Yes, you can use the formula option in the Dynamic Rename tool.

Without any representative data it's difficult to say any more with any accuracy.

It may be a case of using fuzzy match, or find and replace, but we can't say.

M.

Bulien

Nchto
6 - Meteoroid

Ok, thanks anyway, this was helpufull

Henrytabares
7 - Meteor

Thanks! It worked!!!

Labels