Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Removing unwanted columns from a combined data

Hi, I am basically on a dead-end now and I need your help.

I am currently working on cleaning up a file that contains 1 or more tables in it.My problem is on removing the unwanted columns on each of the table so that I can align the column names on both tables. The column names that will remain will be based on a static data per 'Client Name".

I am also doing this in a macro because there will be multiple files that will feed to this workflow and the column names for each of the file will be based on the "Client Name" as mentioned.

Attached is my sample and expected output.

How do I remove the unwanted to columns and base the remaining ones to a static data?

I hope this is clear. thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Have you tried the Dynamic Select Tool, possibly in combination with the Dynamic Rename tool? I'm not exactly sure I understand what your specific use case is, but those tools would be the first things I would try based off of what you are describing.

No, I have not tried yet and I'm also not sure how to use it in this case. But let's just say, my data looks like this, I have extra columns I need to remove to align the tables.

How do I do it so that regardless of how many tables the input file has, it will still work on aligning the columns.

NameAgeAddress(Extra Column1)BranchDateCcyAmountQuantityTotalNoteStatus

NameAgeAddressBranchDateCcyAmountQuantityTotal(Extra Column2)Note(null)

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

There would need to be some structure that you could exploit as to what is an extra column. That being said, you could also change the macro settings to Auto-Configure by column name, which should fix the problem for you entirely, without needing to dynamically select columns.

Alteryx Macro Union By Name.png

Labels