Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Removing Date from the Sentence.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hello Champs,

How can we remove the dates without Regex.

Senetence 

Rohit Gupta is Expert in Alteryx and His Birthdate is 31-DECEMBER-1987.

6 REPLIES 6
DataNath
17 - Castor

@rohit782192 are you able to give more examples? And can I ask why no RegEx? For consistently picking out patterns within the data, that's your best bet. If there are no patterns or consistency then we'll need an extensive list to test with and provide a solution (if even possible).

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@rohit782192 without Regex you cannot make it dynamic but for your given input the below formula should work

substring([sentance],0,FindString([sentance],’31’) -1)

binuacs_0-1656179735025.png

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

@DataNath

I get confused in regex.

I am not getting proper tutorials to understand regex.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@rohit782192 if you can provide a full range of examples of how dates can appear in the field (position, format etc) then we can try to find a solution for you and if it involves RegEx I’m sure whoever provides the workaround will be happy to explain what each part of the expression does.

soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

I have used RegEx infrequently for a long time. I agree that it is confusing. When I realize that I need RegEx to solve a problem I combine Google searches with trial and error to learn anew each time. I have found that having a good set of test data is a necessary start. Also besides the Alteryx RegEx functions, Alteryx has the RegEx widget in the Parse category. While my final solution might be a RegEx functions or functions, the RegEx widget is an easier place to start. Check out the example within Alteryx from the RegEx widget. 

soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

I have created a Alteryx RegEx tutorial on my YouTube channel that should assist you in solving this and other RegEx problems. Hope you find this helpful.

https://youtu.be/2IbA-Pt_7mM

Labels