Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a zipcode field in a dataset and which might not include digits and have state codes. I need to check to see if it contains numbers or not and filter out the records that doesn't contain digits. I tried regex but didn't get the expected output and getting some data type mismatch error. Looking for some help. Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
dsandmann
8 - Asteroid

REGEX_Match([Field], '[0-9]{5}')

That formula will check to see if there are 5 digits in a row within a the field, you can use it inside a filter tool. Without more details around your data examples it will be challenging to diagnose further.

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

@dsandmann Thanks for the inputs. I already tried this and also the same formula with 'd' instead of 0-9 but the problem is I'm getting data type error "tried to apply string operator to numeric value" even after using select tool to change data type to double

crofootc
5 - Atom

So regular expressions is functioning with assumption that it is a string data type not a number. The fact that you changed it to a double is causing that error and it is telling you it cannot run a regular expression on a double

In addition I find the following website very helpful when testing out different regular expressions:

https://regex101.com/

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

Hi

Do you have any sample input with expected output.

for Regex formula to work we need to understand the logic for the data

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@aparna0208 Let me know if the below filter condition works for you

binuacs_0-1684838888051.png

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs Got busy with something and got back on this today and it worked:) Thank you so much!

Labels