Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

RegEx to Cleanse Data

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Hi SME,

I have the following attached file with the name of the City in column A that I would like to use RegEx to remove extraneous info such as State references.  The result that I'm looking for is shown in column B.

I haven't been able to use RegEx to cover all the cases as I'm still learning RegEx.  When I use \W+\s*\w* in the RegEx tool, I ended not capturing all the cities with multiple words.  Could you please show me how to do this in RegEx?

Thanks,

kwl

5 REPLIES 5
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @knnwndlm - Here is a possible solution:

Cleanse Data AA.jpg

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@knnwndlm 
Cleansing city names can be very tricky.
I would suggest to use a master list of all cities then Use Find and Replace, rather than Regex

https://simplemaps.com/data/us-cities

0124-knnwndlm.png

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Both!

@Qiu - I was looking at Los Angeles County and noticed that some cities did not have zip codes.  Why is that the case?

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

@ArtApa - Could you please help me understand the RegEx "\s[a-zA-Z]{2}\b"?  I could understand the individual pieces in the RegEx but I couldn't figure out why the results were generated the way it did.  

I just noticed that N. Palm Springs became N.  How can I modify the RegEx to incorporate this case?

Thank you,

kwl

knnwndlm
8 - Asteroid

@ArtApa - When I use the RegEx above, I got "Santa Fe Springs" converted to "Santa Springs."  How can I modify it so that it doesn't do that?

Labels