Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Referencing Relative Columns a Formula

bcirka
6 - Meteoroid

Scenario:

• I have a data set with a fixed set of ID numbers in column A.
  • When my flow runs, numbers are captured in column C.
  • When my flow runs again, the new numbers are captured in column C, and the old numbers are, by implication, shifted to column D.
  • So every time I run the flow, a new set of values are captured in Column C, and the old snaps push continously to the right.

Here's the problem.  In column B, I'd like to have a formula to calculate the difference between Column C and Column D.  Is there any way to reference the RELATIVE columns C and D, rather than having to use a fixed header name within the formula tool?

Thank you!

Input:

Project IDLatest DeltaSnap 2-3-23Snap 2-2-23Snap 2-1-23
ABC3037
DEF4269

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@bcirka Can you provide a sample input file and expected output ?

bcirka
6 - Meteoroid

Added a table that illustrates what I'm looking for.  

Delta column is what I'm trying to calculate with the 1st and 2nd column to the right of it.

Every time I run my flow, a new column drops in and pushes the other columns to the right.  That part works fine.

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @bcirka - You can configure your Input Data and Output Data to achieve a desired outcome:

ArtApa_0-1675479083699.png

Then your delta will always be F4-F3:

ArtApa_1-1675479151623.png

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

@bcirka - Alternatively, you can do something like this:

ArtApa_0-1675481469772.png

bcirka
6 - Meteoroid

That worked perfectly.  I then joined my delta column back to my original data set to get exactly what I was looking for.

Can't thank you enough!

Labels