Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading Text file

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi community,

I am trying to read the text file but i not sure how to apply text to column in this case .Would like to ask for help as per attached file

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

hey @SH_94 

Do you have a sample of what the output should look like? 

It looks like for the most part your file is tab delimited, but the pattern doesn't seem to be applied consistently.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @gautiergodard ,

Yes..Kindly find the expected output below for your reference. The text file is extracted from SAP system and not sure why it is in this inconsistent format.

Thank you.

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Attaching how far I've gotten... the headers look like they are consistent but i think there might be some structural issues with your file.

As an example, the 4th row in your text file is missing a tab indentation at the beginning of the row.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @gautiergodard ,

Can i know which option u choose u import the text file?

SH_94_0-1672972785027.png

Many thanks

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

@SH_94 here is what i used:

If the file was properly formatted, usually you should be able to put "\t" variable in the delimiter field instead of the "\0" you see in my screenshot

gautiergodard_0-1672972740826.png

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Thank @gautiergodard ,

May i know how about this one?

SH_94_0-1672972889939.png

Thank agains

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

@SH_94 sure thing, here you go!

gautiergodard_0-1672973048512.png

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Thanks @gautiergodard .

Would like to confirm on the concept for the \0 .If \0 means no delimiter being chosen?

Many thanks for the workfow and it give me idea on how to read the inconsistent data.

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

That’s correct @SH_94 

When you select “none” in the second screenshot I provided, it updates the delimiter to \0

tab = \t 

space = \s

so on and so forth, you can see delimiter options at the link below.

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/text-columns-tool

Labels