Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reading Sharepoint excel (.xlsm) files on Alteryx

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

I have recently discovered the Sharepoint files input tool on Alteryx Designer. And it works wonders on picking up .xlsx files from Sharepoint sites. But I was wondering if we have a similar functionality for .xlsm files? We have huge demand for .xlsm files stored on Sharepoint sites to be analyzed and we are unable to use Alteryx here. Is there something we could use, or are there plans for introducing this feature on the Sharepoint files input tool? 

Appreciate your help!

9 REPLIES 9
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Paulomi,

I just tried this and had the same issue. The SharePoint files input tool is still in Beta I have raised this as an idea in the Alteryx Beta Program to allow .xlsm files.

FilipR
11 - Bolide

Did you try using the regular Input tool instead? If you don't need to input the User Name and Password to get into the Sharepoint, the specialized tool is not necessary.

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@FilipR

How though? If we connect to a data source with a normal input, it will always lead to specific tools right? For instance, if I attempt to connect to a sharepoint URL, it will get converted into the Sharepoint file input tool right? 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Paulomi 

You should be able to get the sharepoint folders onto your file explorer via onedrive. Then you can interact with it like any other file on your machine.

Luke_C_0-1658933601346.png

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C , I get your point. But I will not be able to take this approach up, because multiple users will be running this on Gallery, so syncing to local system is not a potential solution for this ask.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Paulomi perhaps your IT department can get the folder onto the server

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

You mean, mapping the Sharepoint folder to the Alteryx server and pulling the files from the server file explorer?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Yes that might work

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I agree that would work in usual scenarios. But the situation I have at hand - it contains linking to multiple sharepoint sites, not just one. So Alteryx will have to connect to different SP sites, and it is not possible to map them all. 

Labels