Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Pulling data from SharePoint

Mike710
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

I am working on a project where I need to pull a .xlsx /Shee1 data from SharePoint. 

I have two questions. 

1) I am not sure why it is happening. Sometimes I can connect to SharePoint and review the data in Input tools, and sometimes I get an error "File doesn't exist or check the spelling." Nothing changes; everything is the same. Is it possible I am getting an error because someone is editing the file on SP? Any advice would be highly appreciated. 

2) What would be the steps, Read the file and create the file on the Network drive and then upload the file to SFTP or any advice?

I appreciate any help you can provide. 

3 REPLIES 3
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Do you have the ability to sync the sharepoint folder/file to One Drive? If you do it will act as a network drive when setting up the file linking. You can use a normal input tool instead of the sharepoint input tool in this instance. I've also had good luck with saving the workflow out to the sharepoint and using relative paths instead of absolute paths. 

Mike710
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Cjaneczko, 

Thanks for your reply. I didn't try that. Let's say I can sync to my One Drive. The workflow will work if I am running from my machine. What If I move this flow to TEST or PROD or run a different service account, which doesn't have access to my "One Drive." it will fail the process. 

Do I understand correctly?

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

If you use a relative path all you need to do is move the workflow in the same directory path as the source input or output. The workflow can be upstream or downstream of the folder hierarchy. It wont reference your onedrive path at that point. Also anyone with Alteryx can run that workflow that has permissions to that particular sharepoint folder. The below link gives a good idea on how to use the relative path for input/output.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Knowledge-Base/File-Paths-and-Alteryx/ta-p....

Labels