Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Publishing 5 crores of data in Tableau server directly

srk0609
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I want to publish about 5 crores of data to the Tableau server. Is there a way I can create a hyper file(.yxmd extension) and publish it to the Tableau server in the same workflow? rather than
step 1) creating a workflow to convert Alteryx output to a hyper file(.yxmd extension) and then
step 2) creating a new workflow to publish that hyper file(.yxmd extension) to the Tableau server using the Tableau output tool and Publish to Tableau server tool.
Please let me know and can you please show me how?

If the above-mentioned is the only way is there a way I can create a trigger to run the second workflow (publishing hyper file(.yxmd extension) to the Tableau server) as soon as a new hyper file is generated from the first workflow? Please share the workflow. Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @srk0609 

1) You can leverage a block until done tool for the second portion of the workflow in order to output to the tableau.

The block until done tool will make sure all records are processed before the block until done tool and then once all records are processed, the second output will be able to output to Tableau.

2) Does your company have an Alteryx Server?

If you want to trigger a second workflow based on the first workflow, you can utilize a macro in order to accomplish this. Please see the blog article - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Server-Runner-Macros/ba-p/889767

Hope this helps. If it does, please like the post and mark it as a solution.

srk0609
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the response so if o/p of first workflow is a hyper file with name abc.yxmd  that is getting saved on my laptop and then I’m using abc.yxmd in second workflow to publish it in tableau server so can I use block until done tool?and would the abc.yxmd get updated automatically on my laptop when there are new files in workflow 1 and then be used for second workflow. Could you please share sample workflow to show block until done tool? Thank you

Labels