Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Publish to Tableau Server - Improvement/Optimization

AJ_Fournier
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community!

I'm looking for some ideas or recommendations on methods to potentially improve or optimize my use of the Publish to Tableau Server tool.

The problem I'm running into is that I have a couple of large datasets that I have to published on a regular basis to multiple Tableau servers/sites. Best I can tell, and how I've been using it so far, is that each one of these publishes requires its own instance of the tool. Now each tool as part of it's publish process writes the dataset to its own temp file, so I'm writing an exact copy of the same 1.5-2gb temp file for every iteration of the tool. Writing all of the temp files bogs down a process that could probably run considerably faster if it was just focused on the actual publishing.

Ideally I'm trying to find a way to streamline the process a bit by being able to use the same temp file for multiple publishes rather than re-writing it for each one. This could be accomplished either by using the same tool to publish to multiple servers/sites at once, or by setting multiple publish tools to point to an already existing temp file rather than writing its own each run.

I'm fairly competent and experienced with regular workflow tools and methodologies but am not very familiar with some of the tool building/user interface components. I've taken a look behind the scenes at the Publish tool and feel like I understand most of what's going on, but some pieces are still a little abstract to me.

Would any of you folks out there have any ideas for how I might go about accomplishing this, or be able to point me in a direction where I might find some more info to help me figure out how to tackle it on my own?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I can see that you workflow is failing @exactly 2 hours from starting, what makes me suspect that your Tableau Server auth token is expiring.

I'd recommend seeing this case with your IT people, since what I see here is a Timeout error, and can be caused by numerous things.

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

I have changes configuration on tableau Server to 300 which is 5 hrs.

tsm configuration set -k wgserver.session.idle_limit -v 300

Labels