Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Provide variable path name for Input and Output

harshendra
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to pass variables into inputs and outputs?

Eg. for Nov 2019 I wish to take input from the directory O:\Reporting\2019-11\Inputs

How can this be done in Alteryx?

14 REPLIES 14
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

How large is the file? There is a 1MB limit on the dynamic input tool. The other way round would be to use a similar technique against a standard input tool rather than a dynamic input.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached an updated workbook for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

darryl5280
10 - Fireball

Attach is my version of a "Dynamic" Directory tool, that you can pass in the directory, file spec, and sub-folder values.   When you Import the attached package change the folder to your personal Macro folder, and it will show up under the category of "In/Out".

And I created a PowerPoint Presentation on how to create your 1st Macro using the example of the "Dynamic Directory" tool. 

Hijacking a existing Tool, ie making the "Directory" tool dynamic. 

DanBlenkinsop
5 - Atom

Hi Jonathan

I've tried using this solution, adapting your workbook to my file paths.  But I must be doing something wrong.  When I run it normally, the action tool seems to do nothing -  the original, (invalid) filepath is still used. I've tried clicking the wand icon instead to run, but the browse tool at the end of the workflow still shows "no data available".  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you, Dan.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @DanBlenkinsop,

The first thing I would check is whether you are allowing the results of the browse tool to be shown the output of the app in your interface designer (Toolbar -> View -> Interface Designer)

Once you've opened up the interface designer go to the properties tab (cog icon on the left hand side)

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1607085538230.png

Ensure you have the option to "on success - show results to user" checked and you've also checked the browse tool you want to show the results for.

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1607085742782.png

When you run the app (successfully) you should then see the results appear also.

With regards to the running normally and action tool not updating anything. That's because the interface tools only affect the workflow when you're running as an app or a macro (which you're not using). They won't be taken into account when running the workflow normally, it will simply look at the configurations of the standard tools and thus why the original (invalid) file path is being used. When run as an app it will take the new values passed in from the interface tools and run successfully.

Hopefully this solves your issue, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

DanBlenkinsop
5 - Atom

Thanks very much Jonathan, that is working for me now. 

Labels