Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Process Multiple files through Workflow

zalakinc
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I have workflow that is generating expected output. 

Question 1 - How do I process multiple files through it automatically?

Question 2 - How do I generate an output that combines output of multiple files?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
joelmiller66
9 - Comet

Hi @zalakinc - Hope this helps answer your questions.

1) To process multiple files in Alteryx, there are a few things you can do.

- Input Data Tool with wildcard * - this will be if you have files located in the same folder with the same schema.

joelmiller66_1-1662752899561.png

- Directory Tool - You can read folders to get a list of files to then read in dynamically (via Dynamic Input or Custom Macro)

joelmiller66_0-1662752796744.png

- Dynamic Input Tool - This can be used to process multiple files. I would view the open example.

joelmiller66_3-1662752964019.png

- Custom Macro - If you have files with varying schema, sheet names, locations, etc. this would be where you need to build a custom macro/batch macro.

2) To combine outputs into one output it depends what you want to do.

- Write to the same file but in different sheets using the Output Data Tool and it would be one tool per output you are writing to.

joelmiller66_4-1662753166559.png

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

Hi @zalakinc ,

Anything you ask for is possible.

Find attached a workflow which describes different ways to do that.

Let me know if you meet any issue.

Emmanuel_G_0-1662807016785.png

zalakinc
6 - Meteoroid

Is there a way to generate output in a single excel file? instead of multiple sheets?

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

@zalakinc 

1. To input multiple files, you can use directory and dynamic tool to extract data.

Alteryx_AR_0-1662825983868.png

1. Another way to input multiple files just use input tool and use wild card * ..

Alteryx_AR_1-1662826014755.png

3. Also visit below link. 

Import multiple excel file(different schema)... - Alteryx Community

To output the files, use Output tool. It has various options-

1. Append to Existing Sheet - This adds the data to the bottom of the existing data in the sheet. This would be kind of Union functionality.

2. Overwrite Sheet (Drop) - Wipe the sheet, output the new data to the sheet without retaining anything from what was there before.

3. Overwrite File (Remove) - Erase and overwrite the entire file. So effectively replace what was there before, not only on an individual sheet, but overwriting the entire file.

4. Create New Sheet - This will add another tab in Excel, so sheet1; Sheet2 etc. Every time you run the workflow. This provides a new output every time and does not erase what was there previously.

Thank you 

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@zalakinc My solution exports data in one excel file.

Labels