Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Problem Persists with MAC and Installation (No alternative answers from here since 2017)

Ciara2011
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone

(@ChadM has not answered relevant question since 2017, so I'm posting a new one)

Unfortunately , I have been struggling for the last two days with installing the Alteryx on my MacBook Air. I'd like to post it on here for the first time before joining the community because it is, although should not be, embarrassing for me.

The Challenge:

1. Yes, I followed with the fact that Alteryx runs on Windows, and that there are two ways to install Alteryx on a Mac: The Boot Camp and VirtualBox and the likes. ( I've had VB in my laptop for 2 years).

2. I followed along with everything the page Chad redirected me to, and downloaded a Windows emulator, Crossover. Worked out fine.

3. I currently reside on university campus, so I clearly use my school's free WiFi instead of my own modem with better protection with SSH and Raspberry Pi. That's when I froze and explored other options.

4. I tried the Boot Camp. Turned out I was out of memory and cleaned up space and Tried again. Somehow, I accidentally deleted the Crossover;s massive fiolder and reinstalled it. VB was accepting Windows as a file. Then Boot Camp paused the set up and said it was compatible with newer version of Windows 10 (I was using Windows 2010 ) only. Then that didn't work. I took two screenshots for a better idea.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your help!

Ciara

5. Took me two days because this laptop had over 100 (more like 30) tabs opened and it took a while. 

7 REPLIES 7
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Ciara2011,

Here are the options for accessing Alteryx on Mac that my university assembled. I personally use VMWare Horizons since my university provides a subscription to it. I personally don't have experience with Boot Camp, but I hope the links below can give you some guidance! 

Note: All these options including running Windows 10. At the moment, Windows 10 can be downloaded and used without purchase. See link for more information.
https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/#:~:text=...

Alternative 1: Boot Camp

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Pros

Free

Cons

Only can run one operating system at a time

Alternative 2: VirtualBox

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Pros

Free
Run both operating systems at once

Cons

Anecdotally poor/slow performance

Alternative 3: Parallels

https://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/education/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7u7GxJa-6wIVQb7ACh2gownLEAAYAS...

Pros

Run both operating systems at once

Anecdotally better/quicker performance
Easily sync files between mac and windows

Cons

Cost

tfielden
5 - Atom

I'm running Parallels on:

* MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 

* 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

* 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I can download the AlteryxDownloadManager_NonAdmin_x64.exe file for a 30-day trial. When I try to open this application, there's a brief wait cursor, then...nothing.

Q) Is there some other way to download Alteryx Designer?

Q) Where can I get the 30-day trial license key?

I received a "welcome" email that directs me to the Trial Success Center where there are instructions on what to do *after* the broken installation application runs.

Any hints?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Parallels tends to be the "better" of the Alteryx on a Mac systems.

Can you make sure you are:

1) Downloading the .exe file in your PC system (ie not through chrome in your Mac browser - and to a location that your PC can access?)

2) Your Alteyrx should automatically install with a Trial key of TRIAL. So that should be fine.

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @tfielden,

I just helped someone with this exact issue. Her problem was from a quirk in the profile. In her MyAlteryx profile, her "country" was listed incorrectly as Afghanistan. As soon as she corrected it (United States, in this case), the correct Designer download button appeared. Her broken original file was <1 mb in size. The correct one should be 500+ mb. This was a very strange situation, but her download worked like a charm after fixing her profile.

tfielden
5 - Atom

Thanks for the tip about MyAlteryx profie.

* I checked, and my profile correctly lists my county (US) and language (EN).

* I also cleared out all my browser cookies.

* I downloaded the Trial manager .exe using Microsoft Edge from within the Parallels Windows 10 VM.

* The trial download is always the same (9 copies so far!) about 188Kb and doesn't run.

Is there no other method or way to check a log to find out what's going on? I would love to start using Alteryx, but failure to download is an obvious blocker.

mccoydid
5 - Atom

Were you ever able to find a solution to this issue? I am having the exact same problem.

jformancz
5 - Atom

Hi, 

using Parallels I was getting the same error. 

What worked for me was to manually copy the installation file from downloads / desktop to the "Desktop" folder (just directly go to c:/users/you/desktop ...) and running as an admin from there. 

What you see in Parallels as a Desktop is actually shared folder with your Mac and Parallels do not have permissions to run installer from there by default.

Labels