Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Possible help with workflow and stop creating a new workbook

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project and I am having some difficulties. I would be appreciated it if you can give me some suggestion. In general, in this workflow I need to read the data from one document, do some processing, and create another workbook and store it.If the document exits but there is no data, add an N/A under the field(ID).But I fond that Alteryx could not distinguish between count=0 is because the file doesn't exist or there is no data. Is there any way to stop it from creating a workbook when the document doesn't exist?

Thank you and have a good one!

Capture123.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

So what I think I am hearing is that sometimes your workflow produces 0 records and you don't want to create a new file in these occasions. If that is correct, keep reading. If not, please elaborate.

I see that you are still here with me.

Treyson_0-1640895986705.jpeg

This is a gross solution to something that I think should just be a setting in the output tool, but here we go. There is a tool called "Detour" that allows you to totally cut off paths of a workflow based on flicking a switch (pressing a button). The problem is that to use it in 99% of the situations you would want to use it, you have to put it in a batch macro and then send in some logic to flick that switch for you.

I have attached a packaged workbook with one such macro that should demonstrate this happening. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Someone please provide us a better solution.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Treyson ,

Thank you for your help.This solution is helpful but What I mean is sometimes my file does not exist, it will still create a new file.When there is a count tool, it does not seem like Alteryx can identify 0 because of there is no record or there is no file.I still want the output as long as the input file exist!

Thank you and have a good one

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

The Directory input widget returns a list of files. You can examine the output to determine if the file you are expecting exits or not.

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi @SoccerTil ,

Thank you for your reply, I totally understand what you are saying!This workflow is a little bit special, I use a formula tool to specific the output path.The JoinTool and Grand Total Marco will create 2 rows even though the file does not exist.As a result, there will be a new workbook even there is no input file.

Thank you

Labels