Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Pivot with more than one column being summarized

Brost
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I've searched previously asked community topics on how to get Excel pivot table like results in Alteryx and see things similar to what I am looking for, but I cannot quite figure out how to do what I need.

I have a dataset with various activities, sub activities, month-year, count of people, and sum of dollars.  I need to be able to count the number of people and sum the dollars by activity/sub activity by month-year.  Below are examples of the data I have and the Excel pivot table output I would like to replicate in Alteryx.  I've also uploaded the excel file.  If anyone has an idea of how to get this type of output in Alteryx, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Brost_0-1652299493612.pngBrost_1-1652299501754.png

4 REPLIES 4
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Brost,

I think this captures your pivot table:

IraWatt_0-1652303035443.png

Any questions make sure to ask.

HTH,

Ira

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @Brost 

Here's how I'd do this:

OllieClarke_0-1652349972336.png

OllieClarke_1-1652350014651.png

Basically you pivot so both measures are in one column, then you can create new headers with the date and name.

Then you can cross tab with your 3 different levels of aggregation and union them back to create your table.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just had a look at your solution @OllieClarke, looks like I way overcomplicated it 😅 

Brost
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!

Labels