Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Passing Calculated Value as "N Value" in Random Sample Tool

Allan_F
7 - Meteor

I am trying to pass a value into the Sample Tool which dictates the "N Value." 

I have using a Summarize and Formula to provide a total count of employees, and dividing that by 10 to show how many would account for the bottom 10%. I want that value to replace the "N Value" in the Sample Tool so that it is configured to Last N Rows -- therefore pulling the bottom 10% of employees in the sorted table.

Allan_F_0-1643302388008.png

5 REPLIES 5
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Allan_F ,

if I got you right, you are looking for the configuration of the  Action tool to change the number of rows? You could try this:

2022-01-27_18-03-04.jpg

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Roland

Allan_F
7 - Meteor

I have the Action Tool set like your screenshot, my issue is connecting the output from the Formula Tool to that Action Tool.

For example the Formula provides "8" I want to pass that "8" into the Action Tool to update the N Value in the Sample Tool to 8.

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Allan_F ,

okay, I see. It could be done like this:

2022-01-27_18-14-56.jpg

I've attached a sample workflow to show how it works.

Best,

Roland

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Allan_F 

Action tool only works in app or macro. Hence you need to place sample tool in a macro like below.

atcodedog05_0-1643303759985.png

This macro can be used in any workflow like below right-click on the canvas and import the macro.

atcodedog05_2-1643303817501.png

Learn more on batch macros here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Creating-a-Batch-Macro/ta-p/657923 

Hope this helps : )

Allan_F
7 - Meteor

Thank you all, got it working!

Labels