Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pass Concatenated String As Formula to Formula Tool

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Hello fellow Alteryx users!  Here's what I am trying to accomplish.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with three columns (B, D and F) that are variables.  Along with these three columns are several cells that when concatenated together in conjunction with the three variable columns look like a formula string.  Now I am wondering if I can somehow pass that string to a Filter tool in Alteryx.  As an example:

Column A    Column B    Column C               Column D        Column E                       Column F   

=======================================================================

[Store] =         12              and [Amount] =      16                    and [Employee] =          12345

So if I concatenated all of these cells together you can see the formula would be [Store] =  12 and [Amount] = 16 and [Employee] =          12345

So if I did that in column G of my spreadsheet, could I then say that the value of my Filter tool in my workflow is equal to the formula in Column G?

3 REPLIES 3
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

possible to share sample data and desired output in an excel sheet ?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yes that is possible.

If you always have a fixed number of columns as you describe I would use a formula tool to build into a single expression.

You can then use a batch macro to evaluate each condition against the dataset and return a true / false value.

Finally you can filter on this value.

Playing to build a sampe, I found it easier to transpose and summarise to create the formula.

2018-10-21_17-04-11.png

After that the batch macro can easily evaluate each row of data against each condition, creating a boolean column (Evaluate).

The final two joins just join back to the original input condition sheet.

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for your help :)

Labels