Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parsing concatenated string

Ross_K
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Alteryx and am trying to process a dataset that includes a concatenated string column comprised of user-entered items and quantities. I suspect RegEx would be the way to handle this, but don't have enough experience with it and was hoping someone could help out. I have attached a very simplified example of what the incoming data would look like and the desired output.

• Input data is from a user-entered list of items (I have used fruit in the example to simplify matters: apples, bananas, grapes, pears and oranges).
  • There may be spaces between the items or not ("1apple 1 banana", "1 apple1banana", "1apple 1banana", etc.)
  • The items may be entered as singular or plural ("apple" or "apples") but this does not affect the quantity recorded.
  • If the item in the list is preceded by an integer, that integer represents the quantity. If there is no integer, the quantity is 1. If the item is not present in the list, it is recorded as either null or 0 (doesn't matter which, easily changed later, 0 is better)
  • The items of interest in the list are contained in a separate text input
  • Anything not processed is collected in another column to later be checked for typos, etc.

Basically I want to parse the input data for the items in the list and store the quantity of each item in a separate column, with the remaining string in a separate column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 🙂

In the example attached:

Input data:

Input
1BANANAAPPLE 2ORANGES1GRAPES 1PEAR
1APPLESPEARS 2BANANA ORANGE
1GRAPE1ORANGES PEAR1APPLESPEARS

Item list:

Items of Interest
Apple
Banana
Grape

Desired output:

InputAppleBananaGrapeOther
1BANANAAPPLE 2ORANGES1GRAPES 1PEAR1112ORANGES1PEAR
1APPLESPEARS 2BANANA ORANGE12 PEARSORANGE
1GRAPE1ORANGES PEAR1APPLESPEARS1 11ORANGESPEARPEARS
4 REPLIES 4
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Ross_K, I was able to process your data and get it to a point where you are able to view the Items of Interest in a tabular format. As for those that don't, I'll get back to you once I spend more time with it. Hope this helps. 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Ross_K ,

I'm attaching a solution where I'm using the regex tool to separate all appearances of the 3 fruits and also a regex_replace function to build your 'others' column.

fmvizcaino_0-1586670236826.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Ross_K - attached is my updated solution. I confess using @fmvizcaino's approach for the Other's path. His regex piece was my missing link. 

Ross_K
7 - Meteor

Thank-you both @fmvizcaino  and @AbhilashR  for the prompt replies and accurate solutions. I decided to go with that of @fmvizcaino given the elegance and minimal steps of the solution, but both achieve the result very well.

Thanks 🙂

Labels