Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse error: an operator must be between operands

citronmelisa
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone! 

I am having trouble with understanding how quotes are working in alteryx designer. 

I want to be able to change table name 'the_table_name' to some value I input in text box. 
If action tool is configured to update entire value and value is input in quotes, e.g., 'this_is_the_table_name', then it works fine. 
If I want to replace a specific string (in this case everything in quotes, so in text box I do not have to use quotes) then I get the error parse error at ..., an operator must be between operands. 

I am stumped. Would love advice or an explanation.

citronmelisa_0-1662967492190.png

2 REPLIES 2
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @citronmelisa, when you tick to Replace a specific string, you need to define only the part that you want to swap out with your Text Box input value. If you don't change anything then by default, Alteryx will swap out everything including the quotes, whereas you need to maintain the quotes. Therefore, you just need to delete these from the ends and keep what is inside as the replacement target in your Action tool.

By default:

DataNath_0-1662969297169.png

Removed quotes:

DataNath_1-1662969323355.png

Now when I run the app, it'll populate with whatever I type in:

DataNath_2-1662969351044.png

If I view this run in Debug mode, you can see that, by specifying the part of the string to replace (i.e. everything but the quotes), Alteryx now only swaps out the the_table_name part of the Formula expression.

DataNath_3-1662969434763.png

Hope this helps - if you need any further help or if this wasn't your issue then please do shout up!

citronmelisa
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, @DataNath, I got it now!
Great explanation.

Best, 
citronmelisa

Labels