Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parameter of "mult" in the function, "Round(x, mult)"

hlee36
8 - Asteroid

I usually get to know how to use a function right away because the names of the parameters are pretty much self-explanatory.

But, I can't get my head around the Round(x, mult) function, especially the parameter "mult".

Can somebody provide some good explanation?

hlee36_0-1687268792297.png

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @hlee36, Alteryx will round to the closest multiple of the number you provide for this argument. A simple example would be the following:

DataNath_0-1687269451093.png

Where Alteryx is rounding these numbers to the closest multiple of 5.

In your case, the numbers are being rounded to their nearest multiples of 0.01, 0.02 and 0.03.

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @hlee36 ! If you hover over the function while you are looking for expressions in the list (or as you type it), you should see some hint text that gives you some additional context... additionally, there are whole pages with explanations and examples about all our formula functions in the help documentation! Here's a link to the Math functions specifically: https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/math-functions

In this case, the first parameter will be the value you're wanting to round, and then [mult] is the multiple you want to use to round your data. 0.01 in this [mult] parameter would round your provided value X to the nearest 0.01, or using 5 as the [mult] will round to the nearest multiple of 5, etc. 

So Round(123.456, 0.1) will give you 123.5... whereas Round(123.456, 5) will give you 125 (rounds up to the nearest 5).

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
NJ
Sr. Manager, Product Management, Designer
Alteryx
hlee36
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both! I understand the concept now. 

Labels