Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parallel Block until Done issue

ALM
5 - Atom

Hi all

Can someone perhaps help me understand something related to the macro Parallel Block until Done.

in a flow I have 6 different filtering results that I want to connect in 1 excel fil using the macro. It's not all filters that have a result, but I still need to show this as a sheet in the excel fil. When I run the flow, it's without any errors, but when I open the excel fil (created by the macro), not all sheets are present. 

An example - in 1 case there is only data in 1 of the filters - they other 5 are empty. The first filter, linked to the macro, is empty, the second filter includes data and then the remaining 4 filters are also empty. The final excel file only includes the 5 sheets that are empty in the filters. If I change the sequence in the macro to start with the filter including data and then other filters, the final excel file includes all sheets.

My issue is that have to do this for 57 different reporting units, and it could differs from reporting unit to reporting unit, which filter includes data or not.

I hope that someone can help my clarify why this happens and have to solve this?

thanks so much

Anders 

1 REPLY 1
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@ALM 

Based on your description of the problem this may be an Excel issue and not a Parallel Block Until done issue. If you don't need the sheets that have no data when run, you may want to put in some logic to not include those sheets in the output. If you do need them, you could populate the sheet based on a condition that if it doesn't contain any records to write in the sheet, "no data" so that something is in the sheet at time of writing.

I would also encourage you to look into either a batch macro or iterative macro setup especially since you mentioned that this will get put together with 57 other options. Using a macro would allow you to configure one tool to handle the outputs instead of a ton of filters and Block until Done tools.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started-with-Batch-Macros/t...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started-with-Iterative-Macr...

Labels