Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am writing the below output into an excel file. I will run the workflow every week/month but I want to keep adding the data to the same file without overwriting it. I know there is append option but it just adds it to the existing data without any space or anything which doesn't look good. But wanted to know if there is a better way to do it? The way I wanted it to be is maintain the history every time I run but add the below output to the same file with the run date indicated. I'm not sure if this is something doable. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

aparna0208_0-1600296656584.png

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Could you create a new column in your data and use the DateTimeNow() function to pull the current date/time of workflow run? That way when you append the data you would have a timestamp when it was appended. 

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

@BrandonB but this would create a column where date and time would be populated in every row. I'm looking for an output as indicated in below snapshot

aparna0208_0-1600367258481.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

So instead what about a Date Time Now tool from the In/Out category that pulls in today's date in the format that you configure. Then a select tool to rename this column to be called Value, and then a union at the end?

date union.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you really want a space between the appends, you could union another stream from a text input with the column named Value and just an empty cell below it to get the result below

date union with space.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Also, you might want to check the box for "Skip Field Names" if you don't want it to have the row "Value" in your output

skip field names.png

aparna0208
8 - Asteroid

Awesome, it worked:) Thank you so much for your inputs @BrandonB 

Labels