Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output to existing Rendered excel, Specify sheet name error

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I want to keep my formatting of my existing rendered excel. When I output i am getting error "You must specific sheet name".

However I have 8 sheets that I need to overwrite. How do I do this?

These are tables that i want to overwrite.

34 REPLIES 34
mzak89
7 - Meteor

@wonka1234 Yes, I meant field, sorry, autocorrect :)

I did some amendments to make it work:

1. Enabled Table container

2. Added paralel block until done, to make sure firstly the table is render, and secondly - values are overwritten.

3. Amended ranges, to write each line as a separate range, using record ID instead of count

4. Turning off AMP engine, to make sure parallel block until done is working properly.

5. Added formula tool to add "amended prefix" to make sure the values rendered by table are overwritten by the output tile

Amended workflow in the attachment.

Make sure that the path used in render tool and path used in the output tool are the same, as zipping workflow to yxzp is changing the paths

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@mzak89  thanks but my coloring of tab does not stay! Run once and color it, then run your flow again and its no color tab sheets!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@mzak89 

All good - except - 3. Amended ranges, to write each line as a separate range, using record ID instead of count

not necessary.

@wonka1234 - are you sure tabtwo has color in the render tool? I dont see it in the workflow. I added coloring there - and I changed formula tool 27 to include a | to separate the sheet. after creating a file with green data - I had no issues. Are you saying it's header speciifc? If so - I'll try that.

mzak89
7 - Meteor

@wonka1234 

Sorry, I do not follow. What do you need to color and based on what?

Please try the following:

1. Run my workflow.
2. Color the output.
3. Disable the render tool before the second run.
4. Run the workflow again

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@wonka1234 - to clarify - if you change your underlying file - and then run container two - it will overwrite and preserve the formatting.

if you change your underlying file to have new formatting and run container one - it will overwrite the file and destroy the formatting.

This is expected behavior.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Also - I don't use the render tools much - ever - but when looking at your project I noticed column headings should be set in the Default Table Setting? you can change your column heading color there - vs in Excel.

mzak89
7 - Meteor

@apathetichell I had some error like "data outside of defined range detected" (or something like this), that's why I've changed it. I'm aware that there was probably another way to fix it :)

And yes, you can colour the file using some conditions defined in table tool instead of doing it manually, You can use row conditioning colouring based on columns conditions.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@mzak89 

this works fine, however when new data is added to the output after step 3, i get whats in my photograph

1. Run my workflow.
2. Color the output.
3. Disable the render tool before the second run.

3.5 New data in text input tool is not formatted
4. Run the workflow again

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@wonka1234 see attached.

Can you remind me - what version of Alteryx are you running? If it's 2023.X downgrade - re-test.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@apathetichell  

These are my steps -

1. Run my workflow.
2. Color the output.
3. Disable the render tool before the second run.

4. Add new data to the text input
5. Run the workflow again.

The tab color stays, but the newly added data from step 4 is not in the table format.

I am using version - Version: 2023.1.1.247 Patch: 2

Labels