Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output data (fields) from Source A based on Fieldname list (Source B)

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Hello Experts:

I am somewhat new to this forum... that is, I have previously posted 2 posts/threads.

Now, I thought I had found a solution (2021) posted by another forum members.  See the following URL for references purposes only. https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Select-columns-based-on-a-list/td-p/80...

Unfortunately, after further review, the posted solution does NOT work for me after all.   I hope I am not in violation of forum rules when reposting the previously provided solution but now asking for an additional tweak.

Problem Summary:
- I have a data table containing, e.g., 50 fields.
- In a secondary table, I only have a **subset** of those 50 fields (these field names are stored as record values).
- Now, based on table_2, I only want to display, e.g., 10 (out of 50) fields from table_1

What I Need to Achieve:
- In this example file (again, see URL listed above), text input contains eight (8) fields.
- Next, the list includes four (4) field names (as values).
- However, only 3 record values (field names) can be matched in the text input (fields).
- Therefore, I would like my output (from source "Data") to only show those 3 fields (CustomerID, FirstName, LastName). All other fields should be ignored.

My question:
- How do I need to modify the existing solution IOT output (CustomerID, FirstName, LastName)?

Thank you,
Tom

3 REPLIES 3
Clifford_Coon
11 - Bolide

Hi Tom,

Can you be more specific?

I tried your workflow, and it seems to produce what you are expecting.

Annotation 2023-03-16 102812.jpg

 Thanks,

Cliff

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Cliff -- I am sorry... you're absolutely correct.   I must have overlooked something.   MY APOLOGIES!!

Follow-up questions... in this case, all 3 selected fields happen to be in ASC order.   That is not necessarily the case w/ my actual solution.  That said, when including additional fields, how can I ensure that the *output* sorts all columns in ASC order?

Thanks,

Tom

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Well, I think I know what happened... I attempted to translate the example file into my actual data file (containing differen fields, etc.).

As illustrated in the attachment, all fields (from table 1) are displayed in the DYNAMIC RENAME.   However, once I add the DYNAMIC SELECT, no data is displayed at all.  

Is there a particular config element in the DYNAMIC REPLACE that I must verify so that the subset of columns + data are displayed?

Labels