Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output File Name based on Dropdown or Textbox

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

May I ask help on this. I have a workflow wherein I’m trying to output an .xls file with its filename coming from the value selected from the Dropdown list

1.png

2.png

OR from the textbox.

3.png

I can make it work when the workflow only contains the Dropdown list OR if the workflow only contains the Textbox.

7.png

4.png

6.png

   

But I wanted the user to either specify the file name by selecting from the Dropdown OR supply a specific value in the textbox by using a Radio Button, BUT it keeps on outputting the filename based on the value from the Dropdown even if I selected the Radio Button for the Textbox. Attached is the sample workflow I created.

7 REPLIES 7
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

I think using a reference shortcut would make this a bit easier. (At least it feels that way to me.)

By using the shortcuts, you dont need the action tools and can just write a simple(ish) formula to decide on the name.

The only setup you need is to give each interface tool a descriptive name so it can be easier to reference.

Click the tool and give it a descriptive name in the annotations tab. Do the same for the others.

Name the tool in the annotations tabName the tool in the annotations tab

You can see all the new names in the workflow constants tab. You can even set default testing values in the boxes next to them.

You can see all named question tools in the workflow constantsYou can see all named question tools in the workflow constants

Using "%Question.interfacename%" instead of a normal value/column item, write a formula just like normal.

In this situation, we really only care about the result of one radio, if its true the other must be false so we only need to check the one.

If the first radio is true, use the value in the DropDown question, if false, use the TextBox.

reference them using "%question.name%" and formulas as normal.reference them using "%question.name%" and formulas as normal.

That's it, no action tools necessary. Looks cleaner and is a bit easier to follow. (again, at least it feels that way to me)

dropdown testdropdown testtest box testtest box test

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @SPetrie thanks! This is so cool. I'm very new to using action tools. This will be my first time implementing it to a project. This would be very helpful. I'll try this out thanks!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SPetrie 
That is a very detailed one. Nicely done.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I second what @Qiu said. @SPetrie meticulous piece! 

@ricoo if it helps, kindly mark @SPetrie 's post as an accepted solution so that it helps others find the solution quicker and helps the search engine identify it better.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @SPetrie . This is a really nice solution. Very simple and cleaner than the traditional method. Thanks a lot!

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Yes. I accepted it as a solution. Apologies, I only had the time to work on it now. But yeah, very nice solution!

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Glad I was able to help!

Labels