Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output Data Overwrite Sheet not working in Gallery

AndrewRoda
5 - Atom

I have a workflow which formats data and writes it to an existing excel template. The excel file it writes to contains multiple sheets including a main sheet which contains a formula that references the sheet Alteryx is writing the data into. On Designer, I have the output tool setup (pictured) to "Overwrite Sheet (Drop)" with the sheet name referenced in the file path. 

The workflow works fine when running it from Designer: it will overwrite the sheet reference in the Output tool each time while keeping the other sheets intact. My issue is when I publish the workflow on the Gallery and run it from there it will overwrite the entire excel file. Has anyone experienced this? It appears to be a bug with the Gallery because it works each time it is run on Designer.

Also note that the workflow includes an Interface tool which allows users to select a data file from their local device.

AndrewRoda_0-1588261498017.png

6 REPLIES 6
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @AndrewRoda, I generally use the approach of writing to specific sheets in existing .xlsx files and it works fine from the Gallery. Just make sure you are specifying the excel file tab name in the output path when writing to the file, i.e. c:\somefoldername\dummy.xlsx|||sheetname.

AndrewRoda
5 - Atom

That is the approach I am currently using. I am specifying the tab in the output path and it works as intended when I run the workflow from Designer or run it as an Analytic App from Designer. Once I save the workflow to the Gallery and run it there, it is overwriting the excel file and deleting the other tabs.

Aleximeyer
5 - Atom

Are there any updates on this, since I have the same issue?

maygross
8 - Asteroid

Are there any updates on this yet? I have the same issue

Maricruz
5 - Atom

Are there any updates on this yet? I have the same issue

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

c:\somefoldername\dummy.xlsx|||sheetname 

does not work for some versions of Server - the correct syntax should be c:\somefoldername\dummy.xlsx|sheetname

assuming c:\ is not a fixed location - you should be useing [engine.workflowdirectory]+dummy.xlsx|sheetname

Labels