Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Optimization Tool

martinding
13 - Pulsar

I am trying to solve a profit maximization problem:

Revenue = R(X) = 10 * X
Cost = C(X) = X^3 - 6X^2 + 15X

Objective Function:
Maximize -> Profit = Revenue - Cost = 6X^2 - X^3 - 5X

I am wondering how this can be solved by using the Optimization Tool?

6 REPLIES 6
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @alexnajm ,

Thanks for the article.

The problem is with the quadratic and cubic parameters in the equation. All the Optimization applications, weekly challenges, and resources I've seen, including the link you shared, use one-degree equations (no powers raised), and I am really unsure about how to properly specify higher degree objective functions and constraints for the optimization 

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello. You can solve it without a tool, just with mathematics ;)

6X^2 - X^3 - 5X=Profit=> where is the max= where the derivative is 0 (well, one of the two, the other being the minimum),=>
12X-3X^2-5=0=>

x=2±21−−√3�=2±213
x=0.472475�=0.472475
martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @simonaubert_bd,

Thanks for your reply. I know I can solve it using calculus, but the point is not to solve this particular problem.

My point is how do we (or can we) use the Optimization Tool to solve problems like this? There may be much more complex problems that are difficult to solve by hand, and I was just thinking if the Optimization Tool could be useful in those circumstances.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
martinding
13 - Pulsar

@alexnajm Interesting, need to spend more time wrapping my head around this one.

Labels