Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Optimization Tool issue

feethsn
5 - Atom

Hi, I am trying to use the optimization tool for allocation. The issue i am having is that when i do not have enough capacity i do not want the tool to optimisize to that variable. I have tried to manage this by setting the upper and lower bounds for said variable to the same number but this creates an error " no feasible solutions" 

i.e in the example below i would expect it to allocate the 9 to 'Pants' and if there were 10 to allocation to jackets? - Just wondering if there is a different way to set the tool to solve this?

feethsn_0-1623658662308.png

feethsn_1-1623658704908.png

feethsn_3-1623658773675.png

5 REPLIES 5
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @feethsn 

In this occasionally, the "no feasible solutions" is correct. Because your setting is that the number of Jackets is fixed at 10 and rhs is less than 9. This is contradictory.

If you want to make an obvious distinction between 10 and less than 9, I recommend to bypass before Optimization tool.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Exactly as @AkimasaKajitani said  with a 10 an LB in jackets you have an inequality of 10 (lb +lb) <= 9 <= 19 (ub +ub)... obviously - this can't happen.

Perhaps you can spend a bit more time explaining the results you'd want to see in different scenarios?

feethsn
5 - Atom

Hi, All thank you 

The scenario is around order fill - I would like to be able to tell the optimisation tool to only allocate material to a certain variable if it can make the full order. i.e i have 1 order for 10 but i cannot sell short so i would like it to not try to allocate to that variable if it knows there is not enough to make the full order?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I think your optimization is a binary optimization with 0 and 1 being your two options. You have 10 and 9 as the material requirements but 0 and 1 are your upper/lower bounds. This way if there is less than 10 in material instead of producing an error - you'd get a zero, i.e. a non-allocation.

feethsn
5 - Atom

That makes sense - Brilliant thank you so much 

Labels