Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Only getting the first record when Parsing JSON file

kwhitaker
6 - Meteoroid

I'm new to JSON files but I've read multiple articles and watched multiple videos and I'm still getting only one record when I try to parse the file.  I've tried multiple approaches, but still no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

results.jpg

I've attached my workflow as well as the JSON file (it wouldn't let me upload a JSON file so I saved it as .txt.  You'll have to save it back as .json to get it to work with the workflow).

3 REPLIES 3
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @kwhitaker 

For some cases its better to input the json as a csv text file and then parse it. This seems to be one of those cases.

json.png

kwhitaker
6 - Meteoroid

I'm working with a new vendor and they're sending me multiple files in this format.  Other files are not as simple as this one.   Is there something wrong with my workflow that's resulting in only one record or is it an issue with the file?

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @kwhitaker 

1-There will be no problem, the only thing that is happening here is instead of parsing the json with the file input tool, you are parsing with the json parse tool. Any JSON can and should be able to be parsed this way, it is a very common way of doing it with alteryx. You can just ask your vendor samples of the other files to try and be sure about it.

2-Unfortunately, the JSON parse embedded on the input tool is only recognizing the first row/first JSON of your file. It is not a problem of your workflow, i would say by personal experience that both Alteryx JSON and XML file format inputs are not very smart to recognize some use cases.

Labels