Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

One sided join?

do55
6 - Meteoroid

This is quite a simple task in Excel that I'm trying to replicate with difficulty in Alteryx.

I have two data sets: invoices - 100 records, payments 10,000 records. Made up numbers but to give an idea of magnitude. 

My aim is to verify that for all 100 invoices a corresponding payment was made. To do this I tried performing a join on as follows:
L - Payments (Payment Amount, Date, Client Name) - 10,000 records

R - Invoices (Payment Amount, Date, Client Name) - 100 records.

However my J has more than 100 results because the L file has lots of near duplicates (and no easy way to delete them before the join). 

Is there a way of doing a one sided join? I.e only for the 100 R's look for a corresponding L and then stop looking. 

That way the maximum number of results is 100. 

In Excel I acheived this using VLOOKUPS/INDEXMATCHES but would like to do this more elegantly in Alteryx.

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @do55,

You might look into the find and replace tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDDolJ57Y8&ab_channel=YodaLearning-Excel%2CExcelVBAandPowerBI

this will not create any duplicates and it is really simple to use. 

I have attached an example. 

Want to learn more about Alteryx? | Checkout Alteryx Online Course with Certification which helps you to accelerate your work. Join Now: https://bit.ly/3oKNvHS In this video, we will learn very quickly about How to use the Find and Replace Tool in Alteryx with the help of a dictionary. The Tool ...
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @do55 ,

What if you used a summarize tool before the L input anchor of your join to remove the duplicate records? Grouping on all three fields would remove any duplicate records I believe.

do55
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, I looked at F&R in the first instance but it only seems to look at one field at a time? 

Have you any examples where it will F&R using three fields as a condition?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @do55,

You can concantenate those columns [Column1]+[Column2]+[Column3].

Alternatively, you can use sample formula as suggested by @AngelosPachis. I think it will be more efficient way of solving this. 

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @do55,

Thank you for marking my post as an answer!

Good luck!

Labels